We believe your middle grade student will thrive at WINGS
The resources below are just a sampling of research that indicates students who attend K-8 schools will be more successful academically, socially, emotionally and physically, and will have a better transition to High School than their counterparts who attend a school that serves primarily 6-8th grade students.
The School Archive Project
This blog article includes many links to other articles, editorials and research topics on the subject of K-8 schools and their benefits (and the drawbacks that have been identified with Middle School configurations). It has lots of information! Be sure to look all the way to the bottom, because it includes details on many districts across the nation, shifting back to K-8 programs.
Cliff Valley School: Reasons to choose PS-8 schools
John Locke Foundation Article
A Harvard University Study on The Impact ofAlternative Grade Configurations onStudent outcomes through Middle and High School
Configuring Schools: A review of the literature
Achievement Loss Associated With the Transition to MS and HS
The Center for Education Reform's report: The K-8 Solution. The retreat from Middle Schools
Click on links below for PDF's of research done on K-8 programs, vs Elementary & MS configurations
As you consider your decision for middle grade, this checklist may help you:
Questions to pose to Administrators and Faculty
- How will my child be placed in courses? ie. Which math or english classes
- How will my child's progress be monitored and how often?
- If my child needs extra supports or enrichment, how does that happen in a timely manner?
- Is my child allowed to work at his or her own pace?
- How will the "whole child", but individual child, middle school needs be met? ie: Social, Emotional, Academic, Physical